Mar 26, 2018
Andrew Woodley, Sports Information Director
GREENSBURG, Pa. (March 26) - A late rally sent the Bethany College baseball team to a 8-6 loss at Pitt.-Greensburg Monday afternoon in a non-conference game.
- Pitt.-Greensburg 8, Bethany 6 (Box Score)
- Records: Bethany 3-10 | Pitt.-Greensburg 6-6
- Location: Bobcat Park | Greensburg, Pennsylvania
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bison built up a 6-2 lead through four and a half innings played.
- In the first inning, junior Neil Woods (Pittsburgh, Pa./North Allegheny) delivered a two-RBI double, followed by a sacrifice fly by senior Saige Micomonaco (Middletown, Ohio/Madison) to give Bethany a 3-0 lead before the Bobcats came to the plate.
- UPG managed to cut into the lead with a run of its own in the bottom of the first inning, but neither team manufactured much over the next two frames.
- Bethany managed to rebuild its lead to three, 4-1, with the help of a Bobcat two-out error that scored a run in the fifth inning.
- Pitt.-Greensburg grabbed the run back with a leadoff home run in the bottom of the fifth, before Micomonaco launched a two-run home run over the left field fence to give the Bison a 6-2 lead.
- The Bobcats chipped away at the lead with runs in the fifth and seventh innings to pull within two, 6-4, but found themselves down to their final four outs.
- UPG got a two-out single and drew two full-count walks to load the bases in the eighth inning, before a grand slam home run gave the Bobcats their first lead of the day.
- Bethany managed to put the game-tying run on first base, but a double-play ended the threat and the game.
- Micomonaco led the offense with a home run and three RBI, while Woods had two RBI in the loss.
- Freshman Jake Horning (Stow, Ohio/Saint Vincent-Saint Mary) pitched three innings in relief and held the Bobcats to two runs (one earned) on six hits with three strikeouts to earn a no-decision.
- Bethany is back on the road on Wednesday, March 28 when they travel to Gambier, Ohio to take on Kenyon for another single-game at 3 p.m.
- Fans can watch a stream of the game here.