Andrew Woodley, Sports Information Director
ERIE, Pa. (April 2) - The Bethany College baseball team was swept by Penn State-Behrend Monday afternoon in a non-conference doubleheader. The Lions won 9-2 in game one, before closing the day with a 6-3 win over the Bison.
- Game 1 Final: PSU-Behrend 9, Bethany 2 (Box Score)
- Game 2 Final: PSU-Behrend 6, Bethany 3 (Box Score)
- Records: Bethany 4-13 | Penn State-Behrend 9-8
- Location: Mercyhurst Stadium | Erie, Pennsylvania
GAME 1: PSU-Behrend 9, Bethany 2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bison scored early with a two-out RBI base-hit by junior Tyler Frazee (Markleysburg, Pa./Uniontown) in the first inning to take a 1-0 lead.
- PSU-Behrend responded with two runs in the bottom half of the first to pull out in-front, but another run scoring inning for Bethany knotted the game up.
- Consecutive singles by the Bison put runners on first and third, before senior Ben Gavlik (Hong Kong/Hong Kong International) tied the game up with a sacrifice fly.
- The Lions reclaimed the lead in the third inning with two runs on three hits, but put the game away with a three-run home run in the fourth inning to make the score 7-2.
- Bethany would be held to one hit over the final five innings, as the Lions continued to add to its lead with runs in the fifth and sixth innings to secure the win.
GAME 2: PSU-Behrend 6, Bethany 3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions kept rolling with runs in the first and second innings to take a 2-0 lead.
- Bethany rallied to tie the game with back-to-back RBIs from junior John Lee (Worthington, Ohio/Thomas Worthington) and senior Kelaen Welch (Follansbee, W.Va./Brooke) in the third inning. Lee reached on an error, while an RBI-single by Welch managed to tie the game.
- PSU-Behrend answered back with four runs on four hits in the bottom of the third inning to take a 6-2 lead.
- Still trailing 6-2 in the sixth inning, the Bison led the frame off with a double by Welch and an RBI-double by sophomore Kevin Marthinsen (Pittsburgh, Pa./Upper St. Clair).
- Bethany was unable to cut into the lead any further and was dealt the two-game sweep.
- Welch finished the day with three hits, including two doubles and a RBI between the two games.
- The Bison bullpen combined to pitch a total of 5.2 innings during the doubleheader and limited the Lions to only three runs over that span.
- Bethany returns to action on Wednesday, April 4 when they host Thiel for a Presidents' Athletic Conference (PAC) doubleheader at 1 p.m.
- Live statistics for the doubleheader will be available here.