Pittsburgh, Pa - The Bethany College men's lacrosse team traveled to Pittsburgh, Pa to face La Roche in a non-conference tilt Saturday afternoon. The Bison rolled past the Redhawks, 10-7. The green and white are now 2-1.
Bethany took a 1-0 lead from a Chandler Dunn goal with 10:35 to go in the first period.
The Bison and Redhawks exchanged goals in the early minutes of the second period. Nick Melita and Will Gatling gave the Bison a 3-2 lead. Clay Yingling and Jake Gerber tacked on two more goals to put the green and white up 5-2. Yingling added another goal for the Bison with under five minutes to go in the first half, however, the Redhawks scored three straight goals to cut the Bison lead 6-5 at the half.
The green and white added three more goals in the third period. Goals coming from Yingling, Gerber, and Tristan Shaffer gave Bethany a 9-5 lead going in the final stanza of the game.
A Gerber goal sealed the deal for Bethany. The Bison finished game, winning 10-7.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Andrew Smith had eight saves on 15 shots
• Christian Robertson led the defense with nine caused turnovers and scooped up 12 groundballs
• The Bison caused 30 turnovers compared to La Roche's 22 caused turnovers
• Nick Holmes and Chris Riley combined for 11 caused turnovers
• The green and white scooped up 48 groundballs
• Bethany was 20-29 on clears and won 11-20 face offs
• The Bison took 47 shots compared to the Redhawks 32
Bethany returns to Bison Stadium Saturday, March 9, in a non-conference tilt against Olivet. Face off is set for 12 pm.