Andrew Woodley, Sports Information Director
BETHANY, W.Va. (Sept. 12) - Thanks to a penalty-kick goal in the 88th-minute by senior Adam Franco (Inglewood, Calif./Carter), the Bison men's soccer team pulled out a 3-2 win over Penn State-Behrend Wednesday evening in non-conference play at Hoag Field.
- Final: Bethany 3, PSU-Behrend 2 (Box Score)
- Records: Bethany 4-2, PSU-Behrend 3-2
- Location: Hoag Field | Bethany, West Virginia
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Scoring chances were hard to come by in the first 40 minutes of the match. Sophomore David Tome (Madrid, Spain/Alameda de Osuna) scored the first goal of the contest when he headed-in a corner kick off of the toe of freshman Tony Cirri (Eldersburg, Md./Liberty).
- Penn State-Behrend had its first scoring oppertunity moments later, but a save by freshman goalkeeper Torbin Greather (Rheinfelden, Germany/Georg-Buchner) preserved Bethany's 1-0 lead heading into halftime.
- The Green & White extended its lead to 2-0 less than three minutes into the second half. Franco put a ball on net from the left side of the field that rebounded off of the Lions' keeper onto the foot of freshman Luis Arteaga (Pachuca, Mexico/Leonardo Bravo), who finished into the unguarded net.
- Behrend came roaring back with goals in the 57th and 59th minutes to tie the game and had a third prime scoring chance that went wide.
- Bethany put the pressure on the Lions with a pair of corner attempts and a pair of close range direct-kick chances in the final 10 minutes of the match.
- In the 88th-minute, sophomore Mikel Ubeda (Sopelana, Spain/Azkorri) attempted a shot from beyond the box that was blocked in the box and deemed to be a "hand-ball" foul, setting up a penalty kick.
- Franco was tabbed with the PK attempt and beat the keeper to give the Bison a 3-2 lead in the final three minutes. Bethany did not allow any scoring chances to the Lions and earned the win.
- The Bison are on the road this Saturday, September 16 when they head to the North Hills of Pittsburgh to take on La Roche in a non-conference matchup.
- Live statistics for the match can be found here.