Andrew Woodley, Sports Information Director
BETHANY, W.Va. (Oct. 11) - A goal by freshman Luis Arteaga (Pachuca, Mexico/Leonardo Bravo) in the 81st-minute helped the Bethany College men's soccer team earn a 1-0 win over Waynesburg in a Presidents' Athletic Conference (PAC) match Wednesday night at Bison Stadium.
- Final: Bethany 1, Waynesburg 0 (Box Score)
- Records: Bethany 7-6-1, 1-1-1 PAC | Waynesburg 4-6-2, 2-2 PAC
- Location: Bison Stadium | Bethany, West Virginia
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team had many scoring chances to speak of in the opening 45 minutes of the match. Waynesburg nearly had a breakaway attempt, but a tackle resulting in a yellow card negated the opportunity.
- Bethany had a pair of scoring chances early in the second half. Arteaga headed a corner-kick off of the crossbar in the 50th-minute and hit the crossbar once again in the 56th-minute, keeping the match scoreless.
- Waynesburg had one of its better scoring chances in the 62nd-minute on a shot from close center inside the box, but freshman goalkeeper Torben Grether (Rheinfelden, Germany/Georg-Buchner) made the stop to keep the Yellow Jackets off of the scoreboard.
- The Bison finally broke the scoreless tie in the 81st-minute. Freshman Bernardo Vilchis (Mexico City, Mexico/Universidad del Valle), the reigning PAC and ECAC Rookie of the Week, crossed the ball from the right side into the box where his fellow countryman Arteaga redirected the cross into the back of the net to give Bethany a 1-0 lead.
- The Yellow Jackets nearly evened the score in the 86th-minute when Waynesburg's Tyler Sisler fired a shot from deep-left that rang off of the crossbar and out of play.
- The Bison were able to hold Waynesburg without any other scoring chances and earned their first win in conference play this season.
- Grether finished the evening with three saves and improved to 5-4-1 overall as the Bison goalkeeper. The shutout was his second this season.
- The contest was played relatively clean, as the two squads combined for only 11 foul calls.
- Bethany held a 15-to-7 advantage in shots and a 5-to-4 edge in corner-kick attempts.
- Bethany will on the road on Saturday, October 14 when they take on Grove City in a PAC match at 4 p.m.
- A live stream of the match can be found here.