Sep 05, 2018
STEUBENVILLE, Ohio (Sept. 5) - The Bethany College women's soccer team notched a 2-1 win over Franciscan Wednesday afternoon in a non-conference match.
- Final: Bethany 2, Franciscan 1 (Box Score)
- Records: Bethany 2-1, Franciscan 1-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bison managed to enter the halftime break unscathed despite being out-shot 16-to-nothing by Franciscan. Senior goalkeeper Hunter Webster (Newark, Del./Newark) managed to make six saves in the process.
- Bethany broke through six minutes into the second half when freshman Grace Chambers (Uniontown, Pa./Laurel Highlands) found the back of the net to make the score 1-0.
- Franciscan managed to tie the match less than seven minutes later at 1-1, but a second goal from Chambers in the 70th-minute reclaimed the lead for the Bison.
- The Barons pressed for the game-tying goal and attempted four shots, including two on goal, but the Bison held off the attack and notched the non-conference win.
- Chambers' goals were assisted by freshmen Lauren Hilliard (Wellsville, Ohio/Beaver Local) and Emily Vetri (Sparrows Point, Md./Sparrows Point).
- Webster made nine saves in the match to help the Bison earn their second win of the season.
- Franciscan held a sizable 26-to-5 advantage in shots, including a 10-to-5 edge in shots-on-goal.
- Bethany will return home on Friday, September 7 for a non-conference match against Penn State Altoona at 7:30 p.m.
- A live stat feed will be available here.